Friday, March 17, 2006

Liberals Can Do it!

Among the many political propaganda placards, J. Howard Miller’s “We can do it” poster stands out. Used in World War II to prop up the US war efforts, you can find it all over the place today in boutiques, bars and trendy discotheques.

On my recent trip to Thailand, I came across two placards plagiarizing the original in a gallery in Chiang Mai: Instead of depicting Rosie the Riveter, who has become somewhat of a feminist icon in America, the posters showed the Dalai Lhama and one of my very special political heroes, the Burmese freedom fighter Aung San Suu Kyi. The text in both cases was unchanged: We can do it!

Being a liberal, the best adaptation of the popular theme I find the following, which comes as a sticker:


I want to give away ten copies of this sticker to the readers of My Liberal Times on a first come first serve basis. Sign in your name and address in the comments section or send me an email, and I will send you this wonderful liberal propaganda tool by snail mail.
tags


free web stats

5 Comments:

Blogger magnolia said...

Dear Dr.Ronald,

As I have mentioned in my latest comment in your blog, I am slowly appreciating the tenets of liberalism. I would be very interested to get the sticker and maybe some books about being a liberal that hopefully would guide me in my future political decisions and choices.

The "Liberals Can Do it!" Slogan just inspired me today after reading in the papers the arrest of former Secretary Dinky Soliman. Hopefully at the end of the day, we Filipinos can say that "Filipinos Can Do it!" and that Filipinos can choose intelligently and honestly whom they want to lead them. The kind of leader whose rise to power is unquestionable and without a shadow of a doubt.

Yours,
Magnolia

10:02 AM  
Blogger peterlavina said...

A white Darna is probably what this nation needs at this time of political crisis after crisis.
Darna is of course the fictional superwoman of the Philippine cinema fighting all - come to think of it - the liberal causes - fairness, justice, truth, etc.
Yes, Dr. Ronald, Im interested in your nice sticker.
Daghang salamat,
Councilor Peter

2:13 PM  
Blogger kerol said...

hey RM! agreeing here...and in a world full of labels and increasing fundamentalisms, a liberal mind is not an easy maintenance... so let us all keep it flowing. yeah.

please send me a sticker =D
i will email you my address.

5:04 PM  
Blogger chris said...

oh! i would love to have that hip sticker. thnx in avance!

12:50 PM  
Blogger Azure Phoenix said...

"Liberals can do it." Ha,ha. That's a sentence that is, as we say in the Ateneo, pregnant with meaning, Dr. M.

That was taken from a poster during the war? Interesting. The other political ideologies often refer to us liberals - small L intended - as wishy-washy, ambigous, even spineless and soft. But I think it was Huntington (am I right here?) who noted that it was the democratic - i.e. liberal - societies that triumphed in the last two World Wars, over countries and societies much more warlike and ruthless.

Btw, I think I can finally blog frequently, now (",)

There's also some things I might discuss with you, sir, pretty soon. Maybe when there's time. This is quite an interesting time for Philippine liberalism, don't you think? I just hope it's not interesting in the Chinese sort of way.

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

free web stats