Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Weakening of Philippine Democracy

After my return from Mindanao, I sat down and put to paper my thoughts on the proclamation of a state of emergency by President Arroyo. For more than one reason, this is a depressing story. As a liberal at heart, I abhor situations in which governments curtail the civil liberties of their citizens. I also happen to spend my professional life trying to promote democracy. In my eyes, the clock of democracy has been turned back in this country.

Many years ago, when I was still a journalist working in a radio station in Germany, we were full of admiration for the democratic achievements here. I doubt whether today’s journalists in Germany and elsewhere have similar sentiments about political developments in this country.

If you are interested in my thoughts, please read my commentary “The Weakening of Philippine Democracy” published today.

tags


free web stats

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

free web stats